It's been a rough few weeks. Usually, it's in these moments I retreat. I go quiet - not wanting to be one of those writers who constantly bemoan what ISN'T happening or what current worry plagues me. Yet, despite me not wanting this, I know if I were to write it's what would immediately happen. My emotions ooze out of every piece I put on paper (or on this blog) so I've been doing a lot of personal journaling lately. And what I've found is that it's hard to be honest with myself even if I know the writing is only therapeutic - only for me.
So I've opted into a different form of therapy - the positive kind.
Tonight? I'm thankful
- for late nights with friends - talking and dreaming and laughing
- for the community God has blessed Russ & I with these past few months
- for dancing the night away in the sweltering July heat - celebrating two friends starting a new life together
- for our neighborhood
- for the consistency of my paycheck
- for early morning conversations with my love
- for time to read mindless books - otherwise known as "brain candy"
- for memories of Kibera
- for mixed CD's
- for my health
- for the food in my fridge and the shelter over my head
- for the realization that not everyone has this privilege
- for the responsibility and weightiness to do something about it
- for friends who believe in me
- for moments of rest and relaxation
- for dance parties
- for the joy this song brings me
What are you thankful for?